Sunday, April 4, 2010

It's a Baby Explosion

2009 was a big year for babies. Between friends, family, former coworkers, and work associates there were 10 cuties. Of the 10, 5 we local and 3 I get to see occasionally. I thought that there was no way that 2010 could top that, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

As of today there will be 9 local babies born in 2010. I love love love that there will be 8 babies right around the same age as our baby as they're growing up. In my head I've fast forwareded to the toddler years and am picturing play dates and birthdays with all of these babies playing together.

I also have a cousin whose wife is pregnant with their first who lives in San Diego. She's due 5 weeks before me. I'm picturing out babies playing together on the beach. Or their family coming to visit us for some winter/snow fun.

Not that it matters to you, but here's the rundown:

Neighborhood friend A: A boy and girl in late Feb.
Hubby's friend (whose wife I'd like to get closer to): A boy in early March
Study abroad friend: A boy and a girl in April/May*
Neighborhood friend B: A girl in July
Cousin: Unknown in August
Me: Unknown, Sept 10
Neighborhood friend C: Unknown in late Sept
and most recently
Grad school friend: Unknown in October

Are you picturing all of the fun with me?

The only problem I see in all of this is gifting. For showers I like to get a few of the more boring (but useful) things on a registry. Bottles, pacis, bathtub, and changing pads are a few of the more recent things. I figure most people get pulled in by the cute outfits and toys, but at the end of the day Mom and Dad will need to give the baby a bottle, etc. That part will be fine.

To increase the cute/sweet factor I knit or crochet something. In 2009 there were 5 blankets, countless hats, Mary Janes, balls with rattles, baby kimono sweaters and who knows what else. The March baby got a blanket. The Feb twins got hats. I haven't actually made anything for my baby during this pregnancy and have a long list. Between the pregnancy brain and sleepiness it takes me forever to finish things. Also, I've decided I want to learn to sew. I just don't think I'll be able to get something made for every baby before they're born. Any cute and super quick patterns out there? I'm a pretty proficient knitter and an okay crocheter.

*The April/May twins were ready to make an appearance in March, giving us all a scare. Momma is on bed rest and we're hoping they'll be patient so they can develop a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment